Thursday, February 14, 2019

Studio Ghibli Movies

Kaonashi, watercolor by me

I always wanted to start the series of Studio Ghibli movies that I have watched here in my blog. I thought that it would be fun entries. Who does not love Studio Ghibli anyway? Right?

I am a big fan of every movies produced by this Japanese animation studio. Even though, to be honest, I watch the film for the first time during my last year in high school, and I get more and more attracted to Studio Ghibli during my university year here in Jogja.

So, to begin this series of Studio Ghibli entries, let us start with little story about this studio. Studio Ghibli is founded in 1985 after the success of the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind in 1984. The three crazy men behind the success of Japanese animation internationally are Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, and Toshio Suzuki. Ghibli means in Lybian-Arabic "hot desert wind", they hope that this studio will give new wind in the animation production. Besides Arabic meaning, Ghibli also a name of Italian aircraft which Hayao Miyazaki is really into Italy and war aircraft (as seen in his movies).

Photo from Pinterest
If you are interested on how Ghibli founders works together, you should watch documentary movie about them The Kingdom of Dream and Madness featuring Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, and Toshio Suzuki.

Here are Studio Ghibli Movie Lists:
1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984) - before Studio Ghibli founded
2. Castle in the Sky (1986)
3. Grave of Fireflies (1988)
4. My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
5. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
6. Only Yesterday (1991)
7. Porco Rosso (1992)
8. Ocean Waves (1993)
9. Pom Poko (1994)
10. Whisper of the Heart (1995)
11. Princess Mononoke (1997)
12. My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
13. Spirited Away (2001)
14. The Cat Returns (2002)
15. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
16. Tale's from Earth Sea (2006)
17. Ponyo (2008)
18. The Secret World of Arrietty (2010)
19. From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
20. The Wind Rises (2013)
21. The Tales of Princess Kaguya (2013)
22. When Marnie Was There (2014)
23. Red Turtles (2016) ---- This is collaboration of Studio Ghibli and a Netherland director
24. How Do You Live (2020)

The list above is not included commercial, movies specially produced for Ghibli Museum. Yes, you read that. Studio Ghibli build their Museum in 2000 and officially opened on October 1, 2001. It is located in Mitaka, Tokyo. That museum is absolutely on my bucket list.

That's all for now, throughout this 2019. I will try my best to write about each Studio Ghibli movies that I watched. Disclaimer, I am not an expert or whatsoever when it comes to movie or film review, but I just try to give my honest opinion on them.

Anyway, thank you for stopping by!

Cheers,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Hutan Indonesia, Mengambil bagian untuk Melestarikan

Bulan Agustus tidak hanya bulan bersejarah bagi kemerdekaan Indonesia tapi ada hari penting yang patut diingat, digaungkan, dan juga diberit...