Tuesday, December 3, 2013

After a Saturday Night at Biennale Jogja: Moving Numbers/2+2=5

Okay, this is a true story of someone who got struck by an art work. It is not a fairy tale, it just me and my mind that went along with someone's art work. After I went to Biennale Jogja venue in TBY, I stuck in the moment of time and space. I got caught by the Moving Numbers/2+2=5, an art work by Syagini Ratna Wulan from Indonesia, I keep thinking all night long about it even until the next morning. It wakes the curiosity inside me to complete all the search of the locker. Actually not only me, but also my friends. :)

Funny thing is that, at first my friend and I not really interest with those lockers stacked onto one another. But, at locker number 004, my friend took the paper and we read it unsatisfied being. After we read the paper of that locker, one of my friends said "there's nothing in this locker? It just an empty locker". I smiled and replied her "see, we're not satisfied" and the three of us laughed. After that satyr moment, we really compelled to find another lockers and look what inside them.

Locker #004

It is such a brilliant art work, it let the audience go with its flow. It makes me unite with her work. This remind me of a book by Arief Budiman about how people meet with the art work of an artist, the book is about how Chairil Anwar poets meet with its reader. How we connect with someone else point of view about the world has it’s own mysterious mechanism. I think about how brilliant the idea and the essence of the work itself. How the artist could think and make something like that? How the mechanism of her mind that could create such an art work? How she sees the world around her? Those kinds of question are running all around my head.

I always have this believe that “an artist see the world differently, they have a special sights, they gifted” But, how their special sights meet and collide with the audience is something even greater. This is my personal opinion though. I may not a gifted audience but I love art after all. :)

Papers from the lockers. Look! How many papers I brought :D




p.s.
For those who haven’t go to Biennale Jogja. Go now! (kidding! It’s midnight already)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Hutan Indonesia, Mengambil bagian untuk Melestarikan

Bulan Agustus tidak hanya bulan bersejarah bagi kemerdekaan Indonesia tapi ada hari penting yang patut diingat, digaungkan, dan juga diberit...