Sunday, March 17, 2019

A story of a young Orangutan

I always find it fascinating, a wilderness and unique animals exist in Indonesia. There are thousands of animals and plants spread all across this nation. Have you see any of them? Some of us might have a chance to see them in the zoo, more lucky people live side by side with them. Do you have any idea how the way we live now influence their natural habitat?

Concerning I might say, how we treat our environment today. Even though, the exposure from T.V. and media is devastating to look at, but not many people think that it is a priority to save our environment. People tend to debating about whether you have faith to God or not if you choose certain people as your leader. They forget that those leaders they talk about, they don't give s*** to the future of Indonesian environmental problem. Sorry I have to say that, if you looked back on the last presidential candidate official debate, no one talked about it. No one.

They do not feel guilty from what they left their children and grandchildren with. More and more plants and animals went extinct. Less and less safe place to live. We are guilty for what our generation will experience in their life. I feel guilty if my generation cannot feel the fresh breeze of wind, or clear sea where they can swim and dive. I feel guilty for forgetting that I live in a place together not only with other human but other living things who provides me with foods, lands, and water. I believe that God want us not to be greedy. I am sure of that. I could not give you the verses you are looking for, but that is what I believe. Before I rant more about how ignorant people nowadays, let me tell you a story, that is what I want to write today.

I want to share a story of young Orangutan, who lost his home. Can you imagine if your homeland is no longer exist? There is no place to come back home. No one wanted to experience that. But, sometimes we ignore the lives of others. The forest you used to find foods, now gone. The river where you get your water and fish, now dirty full of plastics and all that toxic waste. Imagine being him where all his family and friends are whether dying from expulsion or fire, captured by people because they are considered a pest. He is full of confusion, anger, and sadness. He only wished to see his family and live like they used to be.

I am an Orangutan, who lives in the land we share together

My body was on fire
Not from what people used to burn my home with
But from anger
Who heats my soul

I cursed
I screamed
Wanting people to hear
That I am here

Will you listen?
Will you understand?
Those branches
Are my favorite place

It used to be
Place where my mother feeds me
Where I jumped and play
With my little brother

That tree is not yours
Neither mine
Would you want to share?
The same air its produced

I bet you do not want
Because you feel so much higher
You feel that you are in power
But, you are not


I feel weird writing those poem/poetry/whatever you want to called it. I feel the resentment. I feel bad. But, I think that somehow you have to transfer your mind.

Anyway, this year, Flying Balloons Puppet will come with a new performance about Orangutan. We want to share our perspective on this issue. We are not the environment activist, but we want to let people know and feel that this is what happen in our beloved country.

Let's meet and be there to experience the lost, anguish, that Orangutan felt about his home.

Would he find his home? Would he be happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Hutan Indonesia, Mengambil bagian untuk Melestarikan

Bulan Agustus tidak hanya bulan bersejarah bagi kemerdekaan Indonesia tapi ada hari penting yang patut diingat, digaungkan, dan juga diberit...